Are You Being Stalked? Here’s How You Can Deal With It
Love, passion or obsession – we’ve most often witnessed the doings of a stalker on the big screen be it Shahrukh Khan from Darr or Dhanush from Raanjhanaa. A stalker can be a family member, ex-spouse, someone you dated, a co-worker or even a complete stranger. However, such characters are not only limited to films; many of us really face people like Rahul and Sunder in our real lives which makes us feel vulnerable, frustrated and life seems to spiral out of control. It can be a man or a woman too.
You know that creepy feeling when it seems as though you are constantly being watched? Or, you catch glimpses of the same car everywhere and feel a presence around you. Just as you begin to think it is all in your mind, you find a note on your windshield from your stalker, commenting on something you wore in your bedroom last night. That sends a chill up your spine, doesn’t it? So, what happens then?
Many of us do not know how to handle such situations due to which we do not take any action. But here’s a quick guide on how you can help yourself before getting into a dangerous situation:
- Use your instincts– The first sign that you are being stalked usually comes from your gut. You can simply tell that something is off …however stop, observe your surroundings and be in the moment. In most cases, stalkers get the upper hand because they catch their victims being too busy or distracted to notice them. However, whether you are being stalked or not, it is important that you remain alert in order to observe your surroundings.
- Avoid over sharing your personal life online– With social media playing such a key role in our lives, oversharing can pose a problem. Choose what you post wisely, and avoid posting anything that is too personal. Be mindful of your security when using social media, avoid using check-in and automatic location functions, or posting any personal, identifying information that the stalker might use against you.
- File a complaint– Immediately contact the police and let them know about the suspicious happenings around you. Urge them to file a report if you feel it is necessary and ensured that this case is being investigated and they find the person stalking you. This is imperative and non-negotiable.
- Make a visit to the psychologist – In grave situations like stalking, a human mind can feel weary of anything and everything around them. Since such incidents can have a lasting impression on the minds of any person, it is best to speak to a professional. With better guidance from experts, understanding and dealing with such situations becomes a bit easier.
- Don’t be polite!– NEVER be polite or nice to your stalker. Treat their intrusion as an unpleasant and unwelcome advance and make certain that people around you know about him/her which will ensure your safety.
Bringing to the fore the grave issue of stalking, MX Player’s ‘Hello Mini’ traces the life of Rivanah Bannerjee aka Mini, a young, independent girl whose life is perfect until a nameless, faceless stalker starts hounding her. Directed by Faruk Kabir, the thriller stars Anuja Joshi as the lead along with Mrinal Dutt, Gaurav Chopra and Priya Banerjee in key roles.
Binge-Watch ‘Hello Mini’ on MX Player for FREE
For more Bollywood updates, follow Bollyy!
Tags: Bollywood, Bollywood News, Bollywood Updates, Television, Telly News, Stalked, Mini